BUFFALO – Mayor Byron W. Brown, in partnership with the Buffalo Civic Auto Ramps, Inc. (BCAR), today announced a significant new electric vehicle (EV) charging program that has brought 16 charging stations/32 ports - also known as Level II EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment ports) - to eight downtown city-owned parking ramps: Main Place, Mohawk, Adam, One Seneca, Turner, Augspurger, Fernbach and Gallagher. There is at least one charging station at each of the 8 Buffalo Civic Auto Ramps (BCAR); the charging stations are available for free use by the public.
Mayor Brown stated, “With increased use of electric vehicles across the City of Buffalo, we must continue to develop infrastructure to charge plug-in electric vehicles and invest in new technologies to help further reduce carbon emissions and support a healthier environment. By helping to develop the infrastructure necessary for electric vehicles, we continue to implement climate smart initiatives to build a stronger future for our City, region, state and world. We thank Governor Cuomo, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate, and the New York Power Authority for their support, partnership and assistance on this important initiative.”
The installation of stations began last spring, thanks to project funds leveraged from Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate program. The grant rebate covered 80 percent of the cost and the City’s Parking Enterprise Fund handled the remaining 20 percent of the $195,200 project cost. The New York Power Authority helped procure low cost electric vehicle supply equipment through BTC Power and an EV support/ software package through EV Connect.
Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos said, “Emissions from the transportation sector are the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in New York State. Protecting our communities from climate change requires bold action and these new chargers, made possible with Governor Cuomo’s leadership, will increase our capacity to put more electric vehicles on our roads while reducing harmful transportation emissions. Expanding EV infrastructure in Buffalo will also make green commutes easier for everyone living in Western New York.”
“Electric cars come with significant benefits beyond being green. They save money, boast higher reliability and safety ratings, and have advanced in-car technology and better acceleration,” said NYPA President and CEO Gil C. Quiniones. “The key to further EV acceptance is making it as easy as possible for drivers to travel throughout New York and that means being able to recharge at convenient locations when away from home. Kudos to Buffalo for making it easy for more residents and visitors to charge in town.”
The new stations, part of Governor Cuomo’s Charge NY initiative, which aims to increase the number of electric vehicles and charging stations throughout New York State, encourage the deployment of EVs and cleaner transportation, making the city more resilient and reducing petroleum use and greenhouse gas emissions, all like-minded goals of Mayor Brown and the City of Buffalo’s Energy Plan, as well as Mayor Brown’s Climate pledge.
“This is obviously the wave of the future. It’s environmentally friendly,” stated City of Buffalo Parking Commissioner Kevin Helfer. “Anything we can do to reduce the carbon footprint is good for the city. The more locations that have charging stations, the more likely it is that electric cars will be in demand.”
Since the charging stations came online in early March of 2018, they have received regular use and have already prevented 9,787 kilograms of greenhouse gases, and saved 1,100 gallons of gasoline. Level II stations will restore an average EV to a full state of charge in 3-6 hours. The Buffalo-Niagara Medical Campus, Buffalo State College, and State University of New York at Buffalo also provide other City charging options.
The public charging infrastructure will appeal to electric vehicle owners that find themselves in downtown Buffalo for work, conferences, events, or travel. Chargers are now available in the following ramps:
For more information about EVolve NY, NYPA’s statewide program to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles and expand infrastructure, please visit: https://www.nypa.gov/innovation/programs/evolveny. To learn more about the specific ramp charger policies, please visit BCAR’s website: http://bcarparking.com/.