Self-Service Options

  1. Animals
  2. Forestry
  3. Graffiti & Sanitation
  4. Housing/Inspections
  5. Parking
  1. Police
  2. Snow Issues
  3. Streets & Sidewalks
  4. Utilities

Track The Progress of My Case

To track the progress of your case, please enter the Reference Number assigned to it and the e-mail address you provided at the time of your call.  If you placed a request by phone and did not provide an e-mail address, contact the Call and Resolution Center at 311 (or 851-4890) for a progress report.  For security reasons, those individuals who filed anonymously cannot receive an update online regardless of how the initial case was filed.  Instead, please call the 311 Call Center personally.  This will not compromise your anonymity.

Reference Number:
Email Address: