Permit & Inspection Services
Description of Services
The Department of Permit and Inspection Services oversees all development and uses on private property in the City of Buffalo, ranging from a new patio in a residential backyard to the construction of a new multi-story office building. Our mission is to guide residents and property owners through the license and/or permit process. We review and inspect these projects to ensure safety and compliance with the New York State Building and Fire Code, the Buffalo Green Code, and all other appropriate codes or ordinances.
- Review and issue permits for new buildings, additions, changes of use, remodeling, repairs, flat work, decks, sheds, and demolitions on residential and commercial sites.
- Determine if projects are compliant with the City of Buffalo Green Code, New York State Building Code, and all other applicable codes and ordinances. This includes referring projects to other departments for approval (i.e. Preservation Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, Public Works for Encroachment on R.O.W., Common Council), and reviewing building plans for code compliance.
- Organize preliminary meetings with architects, engineers, developers, and property owners in order to address questions and concerns at the conceptual stage of a project.
- Inspect projects throughout construction to ensure compliance with City and State Codes and issue a close out document (i.e. Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Compliance).
- Inspect properties to encourage and enforce property maintenance for the benefit of all residents.
- Issue licenses for all contractors, retail businesses involving food, entertainment/recreation type businesses, dealers of second hand merchandise, sales of any kind occurring outside (mobile or stationary peddler), property managers, parking lots, and many others.
- Address consistently non-compliant properties/owners with tickets, board-ups, clean & cut requests, or referral to housing court.