What is B-Well?
The B-Well program is a voluntary and confidential employee wellness program open to all City of Buffalo employees, their families and retirees. It is professionally managed for the City by the non-profit Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo and WNY, Inc.
The Mission of the B-Well Program is to raise awareness and empower people to make positive health-enhancing lifestyle choices and engage in practices that will benefit their quality of life.
Over the past 14 years, the City Employee Wellness Program has seen significant increases in participation with the following accomplishments:
- Over 11,020 employee participated in screening for high blood pressure
- Over 3,300 employees screened for cholesterol and glucose levels
- Over 81,560 pieces of health education literature distributed
- Over 4,500 employees participated in educational workshops (Including nutrition, stress management, smoking cessation, etc.)
- Over 6,225 employees participated in physical activity programs including: Stretch 'N' Tone, walking programs, Move for Life, The Downtown Employee Walk and the Corporate Challenge.
- The B-Well program was honored nationally in 1996 as an "Exemplary Public Sector Comprehensive Worksite Wellness Program"
- The Move For Life program was honored in 1999 by the Association for Worksite Health Promotion as an "Exemplary Public Sector Worksite Health Promotion Activity"
B-Well Programs / Services
- Annual Wellness Fairs
- Ask 'N' Learn At Lunch
- Coordination of Special Events (e.g. Downtown Employee Walk, Corporate Challenge, Move for Life)
- Monthly Blood Pressure Check every 3rd Thursday of the Month (Room 607)
- Police Fitness Program
- Therapeutic Chair Massage every 4th Thursday of the Month (Room 607)
- Weight Management Workshops... and more
What Else Can "B-Well" Offer You?
Any Wellness program can be brought to your department by request. If your department is interested in any specific topic, call us and we will bring it to you! Listed below are some of the workshops available. If you have an interest not listed, please let us know!
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Cancer Prevention
- Chronic Diseases and Disorders
- Healthy Back
- Healthy Communities
- Heart Health Improvement
- Physical Activity - How to get started
- Safety - Personal, Home, Office
- Smoking Cessation
- Stress Management
- Violent and Abusive Behavior