Records Management

Years Available for Public Access

The City of Buffalo Inactive Records & Research Facility now has the following records available for public use:

  • Assessors Land Maps:1855, 1870, 1912 (Microfilm)
  • Birth Indexes: 1878 to 1915 (Original Records)
  • Common Council Proceedings: 1854 to 1990 (Bound Volumes - Not a complete set)
  • Death Indexes: 1852 to 1944 (CDs)
  • Erie County Census Records: 1850 to 1925 (Microfilm)
  • Marriage Indexes: 1877 to 1935 (Microfilm)
  • Polk Directories: 1856 to 1969 - Bound Volumes - (Not a complete set)
  • Tax and Assessment Roll Books: 1815 to 1837 (Bound Volumes)
  • Tax and Assessment Roll Books: 1838 to 1997 (Microfilm)


There is currently no fee to access records in the Inactive Records Center, however, there is a fee for genealogy copies of vital records - payment only by Visa and Mastercard.

Departmental Access

For pick up and / or retrieval of records and requests for boxes, please call 716-877-0636.

Access to records held within the Inactive Records Center is allowed by Departmental Personnel only. Departments have access to only those records it department/division has authority over. Therefore, should personnel require the services of Records Management to search or retrieve records not under their direct supervision, written permission from the authorized department head must be supplied to Records Management at the time of the request. This is to protect the safety of the records stored within the facility. Please contact the telephone numbers listed above for service.

Turn around time to access / retrieve records ranges from five minutes to one day's notice. (Time is determined by availability of staff)

Store Records

Departments wanting to store records in the Inactive Records Center can do so by contacting the office directly. If utilizing records management for the first time, instruction on proper procedures will be addressed prior to the acceptance of records in the facility. If you would like to set up an appointment for a training session, please email Linda Andersen.

  • There are currently no fees to store or access records held within the Inactive Records Center
  • Only one cubic foot boxes are accepted in the Inactive Records Center and can be obtained by contacting our office
  • For departments needing to store maps, two feet or four feet map boxes can be requested
  • A written request must be submitted

You can fax requests for boxes to 716-874-6405 or email Linda Andersen.