Marriage Certificate Request
Marriage Certificate Request - for the City of Buffalo Only
Marriage records start at 1877 to present. Marriage records are available at the Buffalo City Clerk's Office located on the 13th floor of City Hall in Room 1302. All Marriage Certificates issued are certified with an official raised seal.You must show proper identification as indicated in the "Identification Requirements" section. For Requesting Genealogical Records, Click Here. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Requesting a Record in Person
You must provide government issued photo ID. The fee is $10 per certificate payable by money order, MasterCard®, Visa® or cash.
Requesting a Record Via Internet
For your convenience, you may process online requests through VitalChek Network, Inc. an independent company. They can be reached either online at www.vitalchek.com or by phone at 800-255-2414. VitalChek charges an additional fee for using their service. They accept all major credit cards. The City of Buffalo is not responsible for the operation of this service. VitalChek assumes all liability.
Requesting a Record Via Mail
Orders are processed within 7 to 10 days from receipt of mail request and the following information must be included:
- Enclose a written request with the following information: Groom's Full Name, Bride's First Name and Maiden Name, Date of Marriage, and contact phone number.
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk ($10 per Certificate)
- Copy of government issued photo identification
- Proof of address if your address on your identification is not current and send to:
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
** If no record is on file, a NO RECORD CERTIFICATION will be issued and the fee will NOT be refunded.
We do not send records to third parties or PO Boxes.
Who is eligible to obtain a marriage certificate copy:
- The bride or groom
- New York State Court Order or a Government agency for a legal or proper purpose only
Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
Marriage certificates are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are not open to public inspection.
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One of the following forms of valid photo identification:
- Drivers license with photo
- Non-driver photo ID card
- Nexus Pass
- Pistol Permit
- Other government issued photo ID
- Five of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility bills (gas, electric, phone, cable)
- Current Paycheck stubs
- Social Services card
- Social Security card
- Health Insurance card
- Mortgage / Rental lease statement
Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
A copy of Passport is required if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.
|Marriage Certificate Questions:|
|Vitalchek Request Questions:|