Genealogy Records & Resources
- BIRTH – Record must be at least 75 years old. The subject of the genealogy search must be deceased, as proven by the death certificate provided by the applicant. Birth Records starting with the year 1878 are available.
- DEATH – Record must be at least 50 years old. Death Records starting with the year 1852 are available.
- MARRIAGE – Record must be at least 50 years old. The subjects of the genealogy search must be deceased, as proven by the death certificates provided by the applicant. Records starting with the year 1877 are available.
What types of records are available from the Buffalo City Clerks Office for genealogy research?
The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00. This includes a copy of the certificate, a three-year search of the index, and either a copy of the record or a no record found. When more than a three-year search is requested, the fee is higher.
Period Searched & Fee
- Up to 3 years: $22
- 4 to 10 years: $42
- 11 to 20 years: $62
The fee applies separately to each record requested. For example, the fee for a request consisting of one birth record (1-year search for $22.00), plus one death record (24-year search for $82.00), plus one marriage record (11-year search for $62.00) is a total of $166.00
- If we are unable to locate the record, a No Record Found Certification will be issued. You are NOT entitled to a refund.
- REQUESTING A RECORD IN PERSON: Requests are processed within 3-5 days from receipt. Certificate(s) will be mailed to given address upon purchase.
- REQUESTING A RECORD VIA MAIL: Genealogical records require additional time and research. Requests are forwarded to our inactive Record Center for processing manually since older records are not found in our computerized system. The following information must be included:
- Enclose a written request with the following information: name on record, date of record, place where record occurred, contact phone number
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk
- Send To:
What is the fee for a genealogy copy?
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
For Genealogical Record Questions, Please Contact Records Management:
|Linda Andersen, |