- City Clerk
- Birth Certificate Request
Birth Certificate Request
Birth Certificate Request - for the City of Buffalo Only
Birth records start at 1878 to current and are available at the Buffalo City Clerk's Office located on the 13th floor of City Hall in room 1302. All Birth Certificates issued are certified with an official raised seal. You must show proper identification as indicated under "Identification Requirements". For Requesting Genealogical Records, Click Here. Service Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00pm
- REQUESTING A RECORD IN PERSON: You must provide government issued photo ID. The fee is $10 per certificate payable by money order, MasterCard®, Visa® or cash.
- Note: Wallet-sized photo birth certificates are available (only in person) for $25. The same criteria applies if you were obtaining a hardcopy birth certificate.
- REQUESTING A RECORD VIA INTERNET: For your convenience you may process online requests through vitalchek.com. VitalChek charges a small additional fee. PLEASE NOTE: Genealogical Records &/or Dual Citizenship Records may NOT be ordered from vitalchek.com.
- REQUESTING A RECORD VIA MAIL: Orders are processed within 7-10 days from receipt of mail request. The following information must be included:
- Enclose a written request with the following information: name on birth certificate, date of birth, hospital, father's name, mother's maiden name, contact phone number
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk ($10 per certificate)
- Copy of valid government issued photo ID
- Proof of address if your address on your ID is not current and send to:
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
** If no record is on file, a NO RECORD CERTIFICATION will be issued and the fee will NOT be refunded.
We do not send records to third parties or PO Boxes.
Birth certificates are NOT subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are NOT open to public inspection.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO OBTAIN A BIRTH CERTIFICATE COPY?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent's name must be listed on the birth certificate)
- Only by order of a New York State Court or a Government agency for a legal or proper purpose may a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.
- If you have custody of a minor under the age of 18, you will need custody papers that are no older than 6 months otherwise you must obtain an updated copy from the court.
- NYS Court Order
IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS - application must be submitted with copies of EITHER A or B:
A. One (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID:
- Driver’s license with photo
- Non-driver photo ID card
- Nexus Pass
- Pistol Permit
- Other government issued photo ID
B. Five (5) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
A utility bill (gas, electric, phone, cable)
Current Paycheck stubs
Social Services card
Social Security card
Health Insurance card
Mortgage/Rental lease statement
Important Notes: Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
A copy of Passport is required if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.
|General Birth Inquiries:||email@example.com||(716) 851-5432|
Newborn Birth Certificates Questions:
Mail-In Request Questions:
|Vitalchek Request Questions:||(716) 851-9639|