Buffalo Reform Agenda
The Buffalo Reform Agenda is a community-driven outline for achievable and immediate initiatives the City of Buffalo is committed to taking to shift its law enforcement model to a restorative model that strengthens its ties to the community it is meant to serve. The action steps being announced today are part of an effort to ensure greater transparency, equity and fairness for black residents who live in the City of Buffalo beginning with community-police relations.
Executive Order 2020 001 - Announcing Major Police Reform
I. BPD MANUAL OF PROCEDURES
- CHAPTER 1 - ORGANIZATION.pdf
- CHAPTER 2 - AIDED AND ACCIDENT CASES.pdf
- CHAPTER 3 - ARRESTS.pdf
- CHAPTER 4 - PRISONERS.pdf
- CHAPTER 5 - EVIDENCE.pdf
- CHAPTER 6 - COURTS.pdf
- CHAPTER 7 - TRAFFIC.pdf
- CHAPTER 8 - PATROL.pdf
- CHAPTER 9 - COMMUNICATIONS RECORDS.pdf
- CHAPTER 10 - WORK HOURS, VACATIONS, TIME OFF RECORD KEEPING.pdf
- CHAPTER 11 - PUBLIC ASSEMBLAGES EMERGENCIES.pdf
- CHAPTER 12 - UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT.pdf
- CHAPTER 13 - LEAVES AND INJURED ON-DUTY.pdf
- CHAPTER 14 - COOPERATION WITH OTHER AGENCIES.pdf
- CHAPTER 15 - DISCIPLINE AND DISCHARGE.pdf
- CHAPTER 16 - COURTESIES AND RECOGNITION.pdf
- CHAPTER 17 - INVESTIGATIONS.pdf
- CHAPTER 18- BUDGET, SUPPLIES, PROPERTY AND TRAVEL.pdf
- EXHIBIT A - RULES AND REGULATIONS.pdf
- EXHIBIT B - PROPERTY SOP.pdf
- EXHIBIT C - POLICY REGARDING RECORDING CUSTODIAL INTERROGATIONS.pdf
BPD USE OF FORCE POLICY
BPD BODY WORN CAMERA POLICY
Stop Receipt Form
Stop receipts will be issued at all traffic stops. This means that a police officer who approaches a stopped vehicle, must immediately tell the resident a reason for the stop and complete a form indicating that reason and the alleged violation observed which is then provided to the driver of the vehicle, onsite.
Equipment Violation "Fix-it" Ticket
Tickets issued for correctable equipment violations or “Fix-It Tickets” issued by the Buffalo Police Department will have a correction period of seven days, instead of the 24 hours provided by New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, for the motorist to repair the condition and avoid any penalties or fines.
Buffalo Police officers are directed to issue appearance tickets instead of handcuffing and transporting suspects for low-level offenses unless New York State law mandates an arrest or the individuals present a danger to themselves or others.