Buffalo, N.Y. – Mayor Byron W. Brown today encouraged City youth to start reading now as part of his 21st annual Reading Rules! Kid’s Summer Reading Challenge. As part of the kickoff event at Buffalo Public School # 74 Hamlin Park Claude & Ouida Clapp Academy, Mayor Brown and Interim Superintendent of Buffalo Public Schools Tonja Williams were joined by Reading Rules! Presenting Sponsor Scott Bieler, President and CEO of West Herr Automotive Group, as well as students, parents, teachers, representatives from the Department of Community Services, the Police Athletic League of Buffalo, and generous sponsors. “It’s wonderful to see how my Summer Reading Challenge has grown and evolved over the past two decades,” said Mayor Brown. “As I continue to build an inclusive and equitable City of Buffalo, I want all of our youth to continue to strengthen their reading skills during the summer months, particularly those who reside in our under-served communities. Once again, I will partner with the Buffalo Public Schools, with the amazing support of the West Herr Automotive Group, in an effort to maximize the reading potential of our youth and encourage their developmental success. Over 25,000 students have completed my Summer Reading Challenge since I established this program over twenty years ago and they have discovered that reading can be fun, exciting, and rewarding! 20 minutes of reading per day can help increase literacy and a lifelong love for learning.” He continued, “This year, I encourage all participants to check out some of the newly added Children’s’ books on our 2022 Reading Rules! Book List, in a continued effort to fight racism in the aftermath of the May 14th shooting at Tops in Buffalo. I thank Minnesota Author Sheletta Brundidge for bringing attention to her books, and sharing them with us, having experienced the trauma of George Floyd’s death in her own community. Together, we can do our part to help erase racism through reading.” Participation in this year’s program is easy and is open to any child in any public, parochial, private or charter school entering grades K-12 in any school district. Each child who successfully participates in Mayor Brown’s Reading Rules! Kid’s Summer Reading Challenge will gain automatic entry into his deluxe raffle featuring great prizes donated by area businesses and cultural organizations, including Children’s Books, Teen Literature, Books, Academic Supplies, Educational Prizes, Laptops, Kindles, Bicycles, Gift Cards, and more.
The in-person 2022 Awards Ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, October 29, 2022 (10:00 am – Noon) at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center, located at 153 Franklin Street. Mayor Brown started Reading Rules! in 2001 when he was a New York State Senator to help increase literacy in the Buffalo and Western New York area. During his tenure as Mayor, over 25,000 Champion Readers in Buffalo have completed the challenge since 2006. “We know that becoming proficient at anything requires constant practice,” said Interim Superintendent of Buffalo Public Schools Tonja Williams. “Being read to, early reading, and a life-long joy of reading comes from reading every day to boost comprehension, classroom involvement, and ultimate success. Thank you, Mayor Brown, for inspiring children and families to read throughout the summer months for 20 plus years through Reading Rules!”
Taking part in Reading Rules! is easy. From now through August 29th, students are required to read five books and write 5 or more book summaries. Participants are encouraged to submit their summaries online. Complete the below steps and receive your invitation to Mayor Brown’s in-person awards ceremony, which, again, will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2022, at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. Mark your calendars! The celebration includes great prizes, entertainment, breakfast and more.
• Download the Reading Rules Brochure at www.buffalony.gov
• Select 5 or More Books per Student! Free Books and Free Online Resources for E-Books are available at www.buffalony. gov
• Free Book Giveaways will be announced in May on Mayor Brown’s Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram
• Free Book Giveaways will also be announced at buffalopal.com, PAL Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
• Read 5 or more books from now through August 29, 2022
• Write 5 or more book summaries between now and August 29, 2022
• Please note: 5 or more book summaries must be submitted by August 29, 2022
• Upload 5 or more book summaries by a deadline of August 29, 2022
• Receive a special ‘Congratulatory Message’ from Mayor Byron Brown on becoming an official Champion Reader!
• Every Champion Reader will receive an invitation to attend Mayor Brown’s in-person Reading Rules Awards Ceremony on Saturday, October 29, 2022 (10:00 am - Noon) at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center.
• Every Champion Reader will also be entered into a Raffle Prize Drawing, and receive a 2022 Reading Rules Diploma, a Reading Rules T-Shirt, Bonus Prizes, and Breakfast with their Families.
At today’s kickoff event, Mayor Brown also recognized the below list of sponsors for their generous support. Mayor Byron W. Brown and the City of Buffalo Department of Community Services & Recreational Programming Buffalo Public Schools Police Athletic League of Buffalo, Inc. $10,000 Presenting Sponsor: West Herr Automotive Group $5,000 Sponsor: Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center Book Giveaway Sponsors: Project Flight Buffalo & Erie County Public Library The Teacher’s Desk.